Georockhop
Blastoide Pentremites USA groot
3.50 EUR

Fossil Identification

Not sure what kind of skull this is.

justini   13-06-2011 om 22:53

justini
Junior Lid

My 7 year old son found this on the beach a few days ago. He is really excited to find what looks to be a baby alligator skull?
Not sure if it is fossil. Anyone have an idea?

Trilobite   15-06-2011 om 23:48

Trilobite
Senior Lid
Fotobeheerder

It doesn't look like part of the skull of a croc. But it does look a bit reptilian. What springs to mind are scutes, the bony plates under their scales that serve as armour for crocodilians. But I'm not sure.

justini   16-06-2011 om 16:08

justini
Junior Lid

quote:
Trilobite wrote:
It doesn't look like part of the skull of a croc. But it does look a bit reptilian. What springs to mind are scutes, the bony plates under their scales that serve as armour for crocodilians. But I'm not sure.

Thank you for your response.

HarryPristis   07-08-2011 om 22:43

HarryPristis
Junior Lid

Well, the bone has bilateral symmetry, so it's likely that it is part of, of in line with, the axial skeleton of the critter.

Judging from that, plus the texture of the surface, plus the fact that there are no tooth sockets, I'd say that this is a fish neurocranium. I think this is the preorbital process.

HarryPristis   07-08-2011 om 22:54

HarryPristis
Junior Lid

Well, the bone has bilateral symmetry, so it's likely that it is part of, or in line with, the axial skeleton of the critter.

Judging from that, plus the texture of the surface, plus the fact that there are no tooth sockets, I'd say that this is a fish neurocranium. I think this is the preorbital process.

[Editted by HarryPristis on 07-08-2011 at 22:55 GMT +1]