Georockhop
Flesje mineralen middel Rozenkwarts
1.50 EUR

Fossil Identification

Help with bones ID

marigea   06-04-2012 om 19:01

marigea
Junior Lid

Hello, I got few bones, if you guys could help me with ID and age would be great.
Place where it was found: Netherlands, Monnickendam, shore of Makermeer.

I only cleaned up first one little bit, it was completly filled with sand, rest bones what appears to be fluffy stuff on picture is shore grass, it was also covered in sand and all kinds of water plants was growing on it and in it.

Bones very hard, not scratching with knife, but rather polishing. I did manage to click on piece out of second one, it` same colour all inside.

First bone was found in about 100m away from all others, all the rest was found on same spot, probably if i`ll dig hard I will get more of same, but where they laying in water is about 1m deep, and it`s very cold now to stand in it.

Also I would like to ask - should I polish them or something? because black ones look very pretty polished (on spot where i tryed it`s very shiny). I`m not at all familiar with paleontology and I did look in water for totally different purpuse, looking for decorative shells and stones for hobby.

Sorry my english is not so good and tnks in advance for any reply

Duys   07-04-2012 om 09:17

Duys
Senior Lid

Marigea,
1and2 are a part of a legbone, but very broken
3and4 are part of a vertebrae,
not much i can tell, but the vertebra(4) and most of the others are quiet small, LINK
you can figure somethings out from this website,
They look old enough to be pleistocene, but the colour isn't a reassurance, you can put a
wet finger to the bone and when it sticks it's more recent!
Duys

[Bewerkt door Duys op 07-04-2012 om 09:18 NL]

marigea   07-04-2012 om 15:23

marigea
Junior Lid

quote:
Duys schreef:
They look old enough to be pleistocene, but the colour isn't a reassurance, you can put a
wet finger to the bone and when it sticks it's more recent!
Duys

[Bewerkt door Duys op 07-04-2012 om 09:18 NL]

Tnks a lot for reply. No, finger not sticking to none of them, not even if I fire it up little bit with lighter (found that tip yesterday around here also). I guess I`ll save them and dig little bit when weather is better on same place, maybe I`ll get more of the same and then someone can tell me what animal it is. My guess looks like dog or wolf or something like this (I mean black bones).