Mammoetivoor klein
1.50 EUR

Fossil Identification

Carboniferous fern

JohnB   15-08-2015 om 18:07

JohnB
Junior Lid

Hi all

Here's a fern that's got me stumped. I've looked through 'Plant Fossils of the British Coal Measures' and 'British Fossils Palaeozoic' and can't find anything. I did wonder if these were whole leaves where some of the nervation has rotted away leaving primarily the skeletal veins. However if this was the case why aren't there other leaves adjacent? They were found 5km from my home at Offerton, Cheshire, UK LINK
While I have quite a lot of ferns mostly pecopteris types and calamites I've only found these two matrices with this example.

Sorry for the low quality images, iPhone with loupe sell taped to it! My dslr is in my studio (I'm a photographer!)

Thanks again for your help!

John

Carboon   18-08-2015 om 09:29

Carboon
Senior Lid
Fotobeheerder

Hi John,

Very interesting material. Never seen anything like it. It reminds of some species of Rhacopteris, but smaller. Perhaps Dr. C.J. Cleal of the National Museum Wales could help you further. His info can be found here: LINK

Kind regards,

Tim

JohnB   30-08-2015 om 01:07

JohnB
Junior Lid

Thanks Tim! When I get the chance too I will email him. I see you're a plant man. Would you like the small piece as a gift to add to your collection?

Best

John

pa3djc   30-08-2015 om 12:10

pa3djc
Senior Lid

Nice find John!
Greetings Aad.